We can all benefit from the wise words of others once in a while. In keeping with the National Nurses Week theme of “Nursing: the Balance of Mind, Body, and Spirit,” we’ve gathered together 15 quotes to uplift your heart and mind. If one of these quotes resonates with you, write it down and carry it with you. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or disheartened by your job, take a moment to read this pearl of wisdom. When you’re in need of an instant, spiritual boost, let these words be a bright spot in your day.
1. Rest when you’re weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work.
~ Ralph Marston
2. My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.
~ Martin Luther
3. I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
~ Maya Angelou
4.Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
~ Margaret Lee Runbeck
5. In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom.
6. Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.
~ Mary Anne Roadacher-Hershey
7. The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.
~ Abraham Maslow
8. When you awaken love and laughter in your life, your mind lets go of fear and anxiety, and your happy spirit becomes the healing balm that transforms every aspect of your human experience.
~ Jesse Dylan
9. Each day holds a surprise. But only if we expect it can we see, hear, or feel it when it comes to us. Let’s not be afraid to receive each day’s surprise, whether it comes to us as sorrow or as joy. It will open a new place in our hearts, a place where we can welcome new friends and celebrate more fully our shared humanity.
~ Henri Nouwen
10. Follow your instincts. That’s where true wisdom manifests itself.
11. Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you’re going to live your life.
12. To know yourself as the Being underneath the thinker, the stillness underneath the mental noise, the love and joy underneath the pain, is freedom, salvation, enlightenment.
~ Eckhart Tolle
13. Each contact with a human being is so rare, so precious, one should preserve it.
~ Anais Nin
14. You have a right to say no. Most of us have very weak and flaccid ‘no’ muscles. We feel guilty for saying no. We get ostracized and challenged for saying no, so we forget it’s our choice. Your ‘no’ muscle has to be built up to get to a place where you can say, ‘I don’t care if that’s what you want. I don’t want that. No.’
~ Iyanla Vanzant
15. The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.
~ Helen Keller