FIU - Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine
Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU @ I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
The Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine is currently seeking a Temporary Certified Medical Assistant for Student Health Services.
- Obtains patient complaints and vital signs by documenting it in the electronic health record.
- Ensures patients are ready for the exam and remains available to assist the provider. Prepares the exam room for the next patient by cleaning all surfaces in accordance with infection control standards. Prepares instruments for sterilization by following Student Health Services policies and procedures.
- Advises patients regarding follow-up appointments by providing specific instructions when necessary. Seeks consultation with nursing personnel as needed.
- Conducts Florida Law required controls for CUA waived laboratory tests and performs laboratory testing by phlebotomy and in-house lab method.
- Stocks rooms, maintains medical equipment and maintains barrier protection standards for protecting both patient and employee by performing weekly and monthly checks ensuring that all rooms are stocked and medical equipment are ready for use.
- Serves as a backup for the front desk by being available in the absence of front desk staff. Determines eligibility for services by updating demographic data in the electronic health record.
- Performs related duties as required or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Certification/Registration as a Medical Assistant
- CPR/Standard First Aid Certification
- Must have two years of general patient care experience, preferably in a physician practice or clinic/outpatient setting.
HOW TO APPLY
For more information or to apply, please visit us on-line at http://careers.fiu.edu and reference job opening ID 513960. Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest accompanying their curriculum vitae with names and addresses of three professional references.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.