Do you find that you’re too pressed for time to hit the gym? If so, lace up your walking shoes and find a small space either inside or outside your home to walk your way to a healthier body.
If your walking shoes need an upgrade, the Mayo Clinic’s online section, Healthy Lifestyle, provides useful tips to help you pick out the perfect pair. Those tips are as follows:
- Wear the same socks you’ll wear when walking, or take the socks with you to the store.
- Shop for shoes after you’ve been walking for a while, and later in the day, when your feet are at their largest.
- Buy shoes at an athletic shoe store with professional fitters or at a store where you have lots of options.
- Ask the salesperson to measure both feet, measure them yourself, or have a friend or family member help you. Measure your feet each time you buy shoes because your foot size can change gradually over the years. Stand while your foot is measured to get the most accurate measurement.
- If one foot is larger than the other, try on a pair that fits your larger foot.
- Try on both shoes and check the fit. Wiggle your toes. If you don’t have at least a half-inch (1.3 centimeters) between your longest toe and the end of the shoe — approximately the width of your finger — try a larger size.
- Be sure the shoe is wide enough. The side-to-side fit of the shoe should be snug, not tight. If you’re a woman with wide feet, consider men’s or boys’ shoes, which are cut a bit larger through the heel and the ball of the foot.
- Walk in the shoes before buying them. They should feel comfortable right away. Make sure your heel fits snugly in each shoe and doesn’t slip as you walk.
Now that you have a pair of shoes that fit you properly, it’s time to get moving! Whether you’re trying to lose weight, reduce stress, or feel more energized, these 4 walking workouts are a low-impact way to get fit and meet your exercise goals.
1. 30-Minute Guided Mindful Walking Meditation
If you’re feeling burned out, this video from OnlineMeditation will ease your body from a stressed out state into one of deep relaxation while you gently walk, observe how your body feels, and contemplate the sights and sounds around you. This meditation is an excellent way to experience the therapeutic benefits of moving mindfully through your surroundings.
2. 1-Mile Power Walk Full Length Walking Workout Video Low Impact
If you’re looking for a workout to help you ease back into exercise, this one-mile workout by JessicaSmithTV can do just that. You can do this workout indoors or take it outdoors to soak up some vitamin D. In just 20-minutes, this video’s brisk pace will rev up your heart rate and get the blood flowing.
3. Burn Body Fat 2 Mile | 30-Minute Workout at Home
Leslie Sansone’s Walk at Home video cranks up the intensity in this 30-minute exercise routine. Here, Sansone uses one to three-pound weights to help you feel the burn. She also provides you with detailed instructions on how to maintain correct posture to reduce the risk of unwanted injuries.
4. 5-MILE WALK- Keaira LaShae
If you’re looking for a challenge, and you have an hour to spare, this five-mile walk by superherofitnesstv will have your heart pumping and give you a serious calorie burn. Grab a pair of one to two-pound hand weights and march to the beat of this uplifting video, which feels like you left your living room and entered a dance studio. Make sure to keep some water nearby; you’ll feel the burn with this routine as you push your body to the finish line.
Latest posts by Jennifer Lelwica Buttaccio (see all)
- 8 Tick Prevention Tips to Use Now - May 18, 2018
- Looking for a Way to Rejuvenate This Spring? Consider a Digital Detox - April 23, 2018
- 4 Ways to Boost Morale in the Workplace - April 17, 2018