Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital
Nurse Manager – Ambulatory Surgery Center
Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Hospital
1680 E. 120th St., Los Angeles CA 90059
The Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) Nurse Manager is responsible for excellence in the clinical practice of nursing and the management of perioperative outpatient care services. Reporting to the Senior Director of Perioperative/Perinatal Services, the ASC Nurse Manager has accountability for the clinical practice of nursing and the delivery of patient care for all perioperative services (OR, Pre-op and PACU) provided within the ASC. This role encompasses the development of staff competency through assessment and education, compliance with regulatory and professional standards including Association of peri-Operative Registered Nurses (AORN), improvement of quality, service levels, safety, customer satisfaction and collaborative relationships. The ASC nurse manager will monitor financial performance and identify and implement strategies to reduce costs and improve quality of care/service for the ASC.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Demonstrates positive interpersonal relationships in dealing with peers, physicians, and other customers to promote an efficient teamwork and quality patient care: interpersonal complaints are remedied in a mature fashion; works at establishing good rapport and professional working relationships with all department staff; maintains appropriate interdepartmental communications; able to identify interdepartmental problems and resolve them promptly at the manager level.
• Participates in hospital committees and unit specific multidisciplinary conferences, as well as leads staff meetings: distributes staff meeting minutes in a timely manner.
• Implements unit specific Quality and Performance Improvement Plan, completes monitoring forms and reports findings to Senior Director and the Quality and Performance Improvement Committee when the Senior Director is unable to attend.
• Models leadership and promotes professionalism to assist staff in developing the following: priority setting; team work; flexibility; coordination of activities; organizational skills; delegation; and behaviors consistent with MLKCH Mission & Values.
• Facilitates patient progress through the health care system: assists staff in identifying patient’s specialized needs and finding the appropriate resources to meet patient’s needs; intervenes in interdepartmental patient care issues which impact the patient’s movement through the system; advises staff in development of patient plan of care; communicates with the House Supervisor for the coordination of room assignments as needed and staffing as appropriate; initiates, coordinates, directs appropriate protocols within the department.
• Completes schedule for unit(s) in Clairvia, assuring adequate coverage at all times to meet regulatory requirements.
• Ensures compliance with regulatory, accreditation and AORN standards and requirements.
• Maintains standard of care by monitoring staff activity and adjusting assignments as needed: monitors orientee’s activities and assists preceptors in enhancing orientee’s experience; assist with difficult orientation situations and/or assignment needs; monitors patient care and provides feedback to staff members on patient care practices.
• Holds staff accountable for the care of assigned patients; ensures staff education; audits patient charts/records for compliance; assesses the patient and family responses to nursing care; performs specialized technical skills related to specific clinical patient population.
• Utilizes professional judgment and data to make staffing decisions in compliance with AORN guidelines; and communicates staffing decisions to the staffing office and Senior Director.
• Participates in hiring process, which may include: reviewing applications; interviewing applicants (potential staff members); including staff, as appropriate; completing appropriate interview documentation; makes recommendations regarding staffing needs / skill mix.
• Counsels staff members as indicated by performance or behavior: utilizes steps in progressive discipline in collaboration with Director; documents according to prescribed procedures and maintains an objective relationship with staff; issues are promptly identified and staff counseled during same shift or next working shift; Director is appraised of all staff counseling.
• Conducts evaluations: completes evaluations within the month of the due date; works with staff to determine their realistic goals; meets regularly with assigned staff throughout the year, providing constructive feedback and direction; maintains documentation of progress of employees.
• Assesses competency, credentials and ensures appropriate orientation to unit for all Registry personnel. Ensures that staff follow the policy and procedure for working with Registry personnel.
• Develops and uses a system to continuously evaluate and respond to customer concerns.
• Assures that the Watson Model of Care is implemented within the ASC setting.
• Ensures staff compliance with safety and emergency procedures on a daily basis.
• Guides staff in investigation and completion of variance reports and forwards completed reports to Director.
• Reviews Payroll in Kronos: monitors overtime; monitors usage of agency personnel; monitors tardiness and absenteeism.
• Maintains intimate knowledge of ASC Department policies and procedures and acts as a resource for the staff in the department.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Nursing required; Master’s in Nursing preferred
• Minimum of five (5) years of clinical perioperative nursing experience including knowledge of all regulatory guidelines and standards of practice.
• Minimum two (2) years leadership/supervisory experience required.
• Two (2) years ambulatory surgery experience required.
• Current California Nursing license
• Certification in Perioperative Nursing (CNOR) required
• Bilingual skills preferred (Spanish)
• Basic computer skills
• Current Basic Life Support (BLS)
• Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
• Experience with Electronic Medical Records Preferred