The Vanderbilt University School of Nursing recently received a $1.2 million grant from the US Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA) Nurse Faculty Loan Program to support Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) students who plan to become nursing faculty. The grant is designed to help increase the number of qualified nursing faculty in colleges and universities across the country.

Linda Norman, DSN, RN, FAAN, Valere Potter Menefee Professor of Nursing and Dean of the School of Nursing at Vanderbilt, tells

“The nursing profession is in the enviable position of experiencing increasing demand for nurses and seeing record numbers of students apply to nursing programs. Well-qualified faculty are needed to instruct and mentor those students. This loan forgiveness program encourages and equips doctorally prepared nurses to become effective faculty nurse scholars.”

DNP students who plan to teach are eligible to receive a NFLP award that underwrites tuition, books, fees, and other associated costs. Following their graduation, loan recipients who are employed as nursing faculty at any school of nursing in the United States for at least four years will have 85 percent of their loan forgiven. Students are then given a 10-year period to pay back the remaining 15 percent.

DNP students at Vanderbilt also take courses on nursing education as part of their overall coursework. This is because of the importance of increasing the number of doctorally prepared faculty in nursing programs across the country to better educate the nursing professionals of the future. 65 Vanderbilt DNP students graduated from the program last year, and more than 270 graduates have received the loan since its inception in 2008.

To learn more about Vanderbilt’s Doctor of Nursing Practice student grants, visit here.

Christina Morgan

Christina Morgan

Assistant Editor at Daily Nurse
Christina Morgan is the Assistant Editor for
Christina Morgan

More Nursing News

  • The Vanderbilt University School of Nursing recently held a groundbreaking ceremony for the nursing school’s new $26.3 million expansion. With nearly 900 Nursing students currently enrolled, Vanderbilt Nursing is one of the largest graduate nursing programs in the country. The new building will accommodate more students and faculty, enhance learning,…

  • The University of Saint Francis (USF), located in northeast Indiana, is launching a new Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program to improve access to health care for local patients and increase medical research locally while training nurses to fill high-level jobs. It is the first doctoral degree offered at USF…

Listen to the Nursecasts Podcast on your Amazon Alexa or Echo

Launch the latest episode of Nursecasts on your smart speaker today or click below to listen online.


You have Successfully Subscribed!

Share This